Gluten-Free – the 2 words fill my husband with fear. But gluten free doesn’t have to mean flavour free!
To be honest, gluten has little effect on the flavour, but a big effect on texture. The use of almond meal instead of traditional wheat flour makes these tarts a little more dense but also more moist. These tarts are deceptively simple but taste oh so summery with the inclusion of berries. Blueberries and Raspberries are perfect for this tart recipe.
Gluten Free Berry Tarts Recipe
- 75 grams Butter, softened
- 1/3 cup Caster Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg
- 90 grams Almond Meal
- 1 Tbsp Cornflour
- 180 grams Berries ( fresh or frozen work equally well)
Method (4 steps)
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius or 320 degree Fahrenheit. Grease six 10cm diameter fluted flan tins. Set aside
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and egg and beat well. Stir in the almond meal and cornflour.
- Spoon the mixture into the greased tins and smooth over the surface. Sprinkle over the berries, and gently push them into the mixture.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and stand in the tins for 10 minutes before turning carefully out of the tins. The tarts taste delicious served either warm or cold.