It’s that time of the year again…. mulberry time. Yet again my mother’s mulberry tree is laden with mulberry fruit.
My boys and I dropped in to visit my parents last week and also saw my aunty who was also visiting. We had lots of fun picking mulberries together and boy, did our fingers get red!
This recipe can also be tweaked if you don’t have some of the ingredients on hand. For example: the plump, juicy mulberries could be substituted for raspberries (mmm – imagine a raspberry yoghurt cake!) or blackberries. Likewise, if you don’t have greek yoghurt at home, use flavoured yoghurt instead. The coconut oil could also be substituted for vegetable oil. Any alterations will change the flavour of the cake, but it will still be delicious.
Mulberry Yoghurt Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 cup Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Greek Yoghurt
- 1 1/2 cups SR Flour
- 1 cup Mulberries (stalks removed)
- Preheat your oven to 340 degrees Fahrenheit or 170 degrees Celsius.
- Grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl combine the oil and sugar. Stir in the eggs and yoghurt. Fold through the flour until just combined (don’t overmix), then fold through the mulberries gently.
- Pour into the loaf tin and bake for 1 hour or until cooked through.
- Cool in the tin, then slice, share and enjoy!