A cake that is light, feathery and filled with scrumptious strawberries and cream.
This recipe has been passed down from my Great Grandmother to my Grandpa, to my Mum and to me. I hold fond memories of it in my heart. It’s important to keep these recipes being passed down through the generations – they are part of my family and who I am.
This sponge cake is feather-light and is beautiful in its simplicity. My Mum usually made this for our birthday cakes whilst we were growing up, and I know why. It’s a celebration cake!
So when my youngest son turned 6months old recently this was the cake recipe I turned to.
Sponge Cake Recipe
- 3 Eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup Caster Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- 3/4 cup Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 cup Cornflour
7 steps to make this sponge cake recipe
Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius or 380 degrees Fahrenheit
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks. Gradually add the sugar until stiff and glossy.
- Fold the egg yolks into the meringue.
- Fold in the sifted flour, cornflour and baking powder
- Melt the butter and milk together in the microwave. Fold into the cake mixture.
- Pour cake mixture into 2 greased 8″cake tins.
- Bake cakes for approx 20mins