I was at my local supermarket the other day and I got a nice surprise. As soon as I entered the store I saw strawberries on display – for only 50 cents a punnet. That’s bargain prices!
Of course I stocked my trolley with a few punnets. But I also wonder about the farmer who grew these strawberries, and how much the supermarket has paid the farmer for the strawberries? Supermarkets have a history of undercutting producers….
I love strawberries – they are simply delicious and so good for you. Packed full of vitamin C, fibre and antioxidants, they are nutrient dense and also low in natural sugars.
When I got home, I just had to make something with strawberries in it. This is how this White Chocolate and Strawberry Tart recipe came about:
White Chocolate and Strawberry Tart Recipe:
- 250 grams Plain Flour
- 85 grams Icing Sugar
- 150 grams Butter, chilled
- 1 Egg, beaten
- Mix together the flour, icing sugar and butter in a food processor, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix in a little bit of the beaten egg until the pastry forms a ball (You might not use all the egg). Wrap the pastry in gladwrap and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll out on a floured surface until big enough to cover your tart tin. I used a long tart tin for this recipe, but round or individual are fine, too. Line the tart with the pastry and press it down into the edges. Refrigerate the tart for 30 minutes – this will prevent the pastry from shrinking while it bakes in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius or 340 degrees Fahrenheit. Line the pastry with greaseproof paper and fill it with baking beans or rice. Place the tart on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the greaseproof paper and beans, and return the tart to the oven for a further 10 minutes or until golden.
White Chocolate Pastry Creme Recipe:
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 1/3 cup White Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Plain Flour
- 2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup White Chocolate, chopped
- 300g Strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
- Additional 1/2 cup White Chocolate, melted
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk and vanilla until bubbles start to appear on the surface.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the sugar, eggs, flour and salt until light. Pour the hot milk onto the egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return the milk/egg mixture to the saucepan, and return to a low heat, stirring constantly until it starts to thicken. This will take about 7-10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Place the white chocolate in a bowl and heat on a low setting in the microwave in short bursts until it has melted. Stir the melted chocolate into the pastry creme. Transfer mixture to a clean bowl, cover, and cool in the fridge.
- To serve, pour the cooled white chocolate pastry creme into the tart shell. Top with freshly sliced strawberries. Drizzle with additional melted white chocolate. Serve and enjoy!
You can make this pastry ahead of time and keep it wrapped (uncooked) in gladwrap in the freezer. Or if you have left over pastry, wrap and store it in the freezer for another use.