Freshly baked damper bread – straight from YOUR oven! You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it really is.
I decided to whip up a damper with Mr 2.5 today. He had lots of fun rubbing the butter into the flour. My basil is really looking great in my vege garden, so I decided to use it and make a basil and cheese damper to serve with our dinner.
Basil and Cheese Damper Recipe
- 250 grams of Self Raising Flour
- 1/2tsp Salt
- 30 grams of Butter, chilled and cubed
- 175ml Milk
- 50 grams of grated Tasty Cheese
- 30 grams of grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tbsp chopped Basil leaves
6 steps to make this damper bread recipe
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius or 380 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place the flour and salt in a large bowl. Rub butter into the flour, until it resembles fine breadcrumbs
- Add cheeses, basil and milk to the flour mixture and stir to combine with a butter knife
- Turn out onto a floured bench, and shape into a ball. Place on a greased baking tray, and using a knife, cut a cross into the top. Brush top with milk
- Bake in oven for 30mins
- Tastes fabulous with softened butter
- Use this recipe as a vehicle for other flavours.
- Don’t have basil or tasty cheese? Use sliced olives and fetta cheese. Sun-dried tomatoes and oregano. Or keep it simple and traditional and omit the herbs and cheese. It’s completely up to you 🙂