The perfect homemade pizza base recipe. Get the kids involved, get messy and have fun kneading.
My husband’s standby takeaway meal is pizza. He loves it, and is a member of several local pizza joints. Me? I like pizza too, but we have differing tastes. He and my son love classic Hawaiian (ham and pineapple) pizzas. I like vegetarian toppings, and more gourmet pizza flavours. But there’s one thing we agree on – the PIZZA BASE.
Pizza bases can’t be too thick, or paper thin. Pizza bases need to have a bit of body to hold the sauce and the delicious ingredients. “But I can buy a pre-made pizza base from the local supermarket” I hear you say. This is true, but this pizza base recipe doesn’t taste like cardboard, is much cheaper and you can get the kids involved!
So let’s get started 🙂
Pizza Base Recipe
- 7 gram sachet dried yeast
- 3/4 cup Warm water
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 cups Plain Flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 Tbsp olive oil9 steps to make this recipe
- Mix the yeast with warm water and sugar and set aside for 10mins, until the mix starts to bubble a little bit.
- Combine the flour, olive oil and yeast mixture in a large bowl and mix to make a soft dough. Tip out onto a flour dusted bench and knead for 10mins or until the dough is smooth ( you may need to add a little extra flour if the mix is too sticky).
- Return the dough to a greased bowl, and cover and place in a warm place for 30mins. During this time the dough should double in size
- Tip the dough out of the bowl and punch it to remove the air inside. Knead for another minute, then rest in the bowl again for 10mins.
- Preheat oven to 210 degrees C or 410 degrees F
- Divide the dough into 3 portions, and roll out on a floured surface to your desired thickness. Place on a greased pizza tray or baking tray. (Don’t worry if your base isn’t perfectly round. This all adds to the charm of home-made pizza)
- Top pizza base with passata ( tomato puree) and follow with your preferred toppings
- Bake for 10-15mins until the dough turns crisp.
- Slice and EAT!
- Why not double the recipe, and make dough for next time? This dough can be frozen – just wrap half in glad wrap and place in the freezer. Take the dough out of the freezer 3hrs before you want to use it, then roll out and use as normal