My eldest son has just started his first year at our local school. In the lead up, we organised lots of things – uniform, school shoes, bag and his lunchbox.
He had a few requirements when it came to choosing his lunchbox. First, it had to be blue. Secondly, it had to have a drink bottle. And third, it had to have lots of compartments. We found a suitable one at a local department store. It was perfect – especially as one of his friends had the same lunchbox.
Every morning, he likes to inspect his lunchbox before he heads off to school – just to see what treats I have included for the day’s breaks.
This chocolate chip oat bar slice is a perfect lunchbox treat. The oats contain a slow releasing energy which means they will keep you feeling fuller for longer. They are also perfect for busy parents, because they are simply a one bowl slice which takes no time to mix together. You gotta love that!
Chocolate Chip Oat Bars Recipe
- 1/2 cup Plain Flour
- 1/2 cup Self Raising Flour
- 2/3 cup Desiccated Coconut
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Choc Chips
- 8.5 tablespoons of Melted Butter, cooled
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
6 easy steps to make this recipe:
- Preheat your oven to 320 degrees Fahrenheit or 160 degrees Celsius.
- Grease and line a slice tray with baking paper
- Combine the flour, coconut, oats, brown sugar and chocolate chips in a large bowl. Stir well.
- Mix in the melted butter and egg and stir to combine.
- Press the mixture into the prepared slice tray, the bake in the oven for 20 mins or until golden.
- Remove from the oven, and cool in the tin completely before slicing.
Once it has cooled, I like to store mine in a container in the fridge.