It’s that time of year again – Mulberry time! And what better way to try them out than by cooking them up in a slice recipe!
Yet again my Mum’s Mulberry tree is heavily laden with the rich black berries. The tree is huge, and people from all over her neighbourhood come to taste test. They eat them straight from the tree, and also fill up small containers with the mulberries to take home to enjoy. I’ve been lucky enough to share the picking experience with my 2 boys this year – Red hand alert! My youngest also had a bright red mouth to match his hands 🙂
My mum likes to make lots and lots of Mulberry Pies and Mulberry Jam. I’ve decided to try to make some slices with my mulberries. This slice recipe contains no sugar…
Mulberry and Almond Slice Recipe
- 120 grams Butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp Splenda or any other sweetener
- 1 1/2 cups Almond Meal
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup fresh Mulberries, stalks removed
Method (3 steps)
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius or 340 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and line a slice pan with baking paper.
- In a medium bowl cream the butter and sweetener. Add the almond meal, eggs, vanilla and baking powder, and combine.
- Spread over the slice pan, then scatter over the mulberries. Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until golden. Cool in the tin, then slice and enjoy!