Muffins are super easy and super fast. No need for beaters or electric mixers. All you need is a bowl and spoon.
Mulberries are not easily found on supermarket shelves. They look similar to a blackberry, but longer in length. Once they have ripened to a dark black berry and have been picked, they don’t keep for too long. It’s best to use them up straight away – that’s if you haven’t eaten them all whilst picking them and have a dark stain on your mouth and fingers! Mulberry leaves are also the favoured food of silkworms. So if your kids bring silkworms home from school, you had better find a mulberry tree to supply you with the leaves!
Muffins don’t usually have icing on them. I’ve broken from tradition and included a cream cheese frosting (which does use a mixer) on these muffins, so I guess they’re a cross between cupcakes and muffins. If you don’t want to include the frosting, they are just as yummy without.
Mulberry and Lemon Muffins Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 3/4 cup Milk
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh Mulberries, stalks cut off
Here are the first 3 steps for making this part of the recipe:
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 360 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a muffin tray with muffin cases. This recipe will make approx 16-18 muffins.
- Place the flour, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix together the egg, oil, milk, lemon rind and vanilla.
- Combine the liquid ingredients into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir together until just mixed. Don’t overmix this batter. Fold through the mulberries gently. Spoon the mixture evenly into the muffin cases, and bake for approx 30 mins or until cooked. Remove from the muffin tray and cool.
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 60 grams Cream Cheese, softened
- 30 grams Butter, softened
- 1 cup Icing Sugar Mixture
- Vanilla Essence
Final step for making this recipe:
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together in a small bowl with an electric mixer. Stir in the vanilla and sifted icing sugar. Beat again. Spread or pipe the frosting on top of the cooled muffins. Enjoy!