There are so many uses for the humble orange. Orange juice (of course), orange segments, marmalade, cakes, biscuits and slices. It’s a well known fact that they’re high in Vitamin C, so I’ve been eating a few to try and ward off an impending cold….
Our orange tree isn’t huge, but each year it has a bumper crop of tasty oranges. I have a feeling we aren’t the only ones getting enjoyment out of them though. I think a local possum has discovered the tree and has been enjoying a midnight snack while our dogs have been sleeping.
Here’s a new recipe to use up a couple of these little gems.
Orange and Date Slice Recipe
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Grated zest of 1 Orange
- 100 grams Butter, melted
- 1 cup Plain Flour
- 1/2 cup Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- pinch of Salt
- 1 cup pitted, dried Dates, sliced
- 3/4 cup Pecans, chopped, optional
5 steps to make this Orange and Date Slice recipe
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C or 340 degree F. Grease and line a slice tin.
- Combine the orange juice, zest, eggs and butter in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder ,salt and caster sugar. Stir in the dates and pecans (if using). Stir in the egg mixture until just combined.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for approx 30 mins. Remove when ready and set aside to cool.
- If you wish, ice the slice with a simple Orange glaze, then cut into small bars. The dates add a lot of natural sweetness to the slice, so you may wish to omit the glaze.
Orange Glaze Recipe (optional)
- 1 cup Icing Sugar Mixture
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Orange Juice
- 1 tsp Orange zest
1 step to make the Orange Glaze
- Mix all ingredients together. Drizzle over slice.